Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Skateboard Party Theme

     We are having the party at a bowling alley, but the theme for the invitations and cake are skateboarding. Here is how I made both.

Invitations Materials: Poster board, notebook paper, duct tape, scissors, pencil, marker, pen.

Step 1)  Make your pattern
     Find an image online that you like. If your a talented artist you can just draw your own. To copy the image without a printer, hold the paper up to your monitor. Tape in place, and trace. Cover the back side of your drawing with duct tape to reinforce it, and cut out.

Step 2) Trace pattern onto poster board for as many invitations as you need. Cut each one out in a square 1st to made the detail cutting easier. Practice the wording on your pattern so you are sure to have enough room and good spacing.
Step3) Decorate and fill in each invitation.

     It took me about an hour start to finish to make 6 invitations. Once you have the 1st one finished the rest go quickly. Total cost $0.50 for the poster board. I already had all the other materials on hand. I could have made 24 invitations out of the one sheet of poster board. Since I didn't need that many I can use the left over for other projects making the cost of the invitations pretty much just my time.




Cake Ingredients: 2 cake mixes (plus ingredients needed as directed on box), 2 tubs of icing, food coloring, card board, wax paper, box tape, foil shreds, trucks-axles-wheel combo off a skateboard.

Make cake according to package directions. Cook in one 11x9 and one round cake pan. (I mixed the cakes together and split between the 2 pans. I should have made 2 rounds, as the cakes overflowed the pans, but hey, whatever)  Freeze the cakes after they are cooled to make cutting and icing easier. Cut the round cake in half and place at the ends of the 11x9. I used trimmed pieces of the cake to give the edges a "lift" like a real skateboard.

To make the base I had trimmed a piece of cardboard to be bigger than the cake. Then I laid strips of box tape sticky side up across the board and secured them in place with duct tape (you could use more box tape, I just wanted the look of the duct tape).

 Then I spread the foil shreds around, pressed them into place, and trimmed the extra long pieces.
 For the actual cake "platter", after I placed the cut cakes together, I traced around them on another piece of cardboard. (There was wax paper under the cake, don't put the cake straight on the box that's just gross.)
Then I wrapped the cut out board in wax paper and taped it in place.
 Place the cake onto your "platter" and decorate as you choose. I used multiple icing colors. To keep the icing from mixing together, I chilled the cake in the freezer between colors. Once it is completely decorated, place the wheel assembly onto your base and the cake onto the wheels. (This part is a little tricky and requires 2 people or good timing, patience, and balance. Once the wheels are in the correct location the cake will sit sturdy, it's just a matter of getting them in the right spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment